Friday, August 31, 2007

Test Your Knowledge of Cleveland's Black Heritage

Okay Cleveland experts, here's a question for you: In a book about black heritage sites in the northern United States, only two such sites are listed for Cleveland. What are they? Okay, one is pretty easy: the famous Karamu House. But the other certainly isn't. Did you know Cleveland had an African-American Museum? I sure didn't. At first, I thought the listing was nothing more than a reference to the specialized African-American collection at the Western Reserve Historical Society. But it turns out there's an entirely stand-alone collection housed in an old Carnegie Library. It was conceived by one visionary Cleveland man, and later housed in the basement of the Hough branch of the Cleveland Public Library. I, for one, plan to visit soon.

2 Comments:

At 12:58 PM, Blogger derek said...

And that man's name is Icabod Flewellen. I am aware of the African-American Museum but I have yet to go there. I didn't know, however, that they had a website here.

Thanks for bringing this to light, John.

 
At 10:47 AM, Blogger John Ettorre said...

As always, thanks for visiting Derek.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home