Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Fall Word Lover's Retreat:
A Save-That-Date Bulletin

In the craftsmanship tradition of William Zinsser’s On Writing Well and the spirit of Julia Cameron’s Artist’s Way, join John Ettorre and Claudia Taller at Idlewyld Bed & Breakfast in historic Lakeside, Ohio on Friday, October 3 through Sunday, October 5.

In the more than 30 years since its publication, William Zinsser's On Writing Well has come to be a philosophical and spiritual touchstone for writers everywhere. Its core message--about simplicity, authenticity and the importance of developing craft in one's writing—has been absorbed by two generations of appreciative writers. Along with The Artist's Way, it will serve as the intellectual backbone for our retreat.

The environment for our weekend will only be enhanced by the location. Lakeside, Ohio, along the shores of Lake Erie, is the closest thing you'll find to Maine in the Midwest. The town's well-preserved 19th century feel evokes a quieter, more gracious era. Lakeside's motto—"nurturing mind, body and spirit"—is a perfect description for the focus of our retreat-by-the-sea. And Idlewyld Bed & Breakfast, where we'll be staying, is a uniquely charming century-old structure, though updated with all the modern comforts. But the most comfortable touch of all is the personal warmth that our hosts, proprietors Dan & Joan, provide.


Friday supper, Saturday breakfast and lunch, and Sunday breakfast will be served. This itinerary is subject to change, and outside speakers may be added. For updated information, call Claudia at 440.554.6406, or write ctallerwrites@wowway.com.

Cost: $90 until August 15, $105 until September 5, and $115 until September 20. Cost does not include the cost of a discounted room at the Idlewyld; please e-mail Claudia for room selection and the total cost for the weekend will be quoted. Rooms range from $55 to $100/night; you may consider sharing a room to save. Mail registration with a check made payable to Claudia Taller to Igniting Possibilities Events, 26408 Chapel Hill Drive, North Olmsted, Ohio 44070.

You'll find a nice write-up of our Lakeside retreat in May on Claudia's blog

6 Comments:

At 12:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Julia Cameron's book looks incredibly powerful.

 
At 12:30 PM, Blogger John Ettorre said...

Many people would certainly agree.

 
At 12:12 PM, Blogger Art Durkee said...

Funny. I'm tempted. But I don't know that I'd fit in, except in the haiku workshop, which I could actually probably teach.

I'm also in the midst of a period where I have turned my back, for who knows how long, on poetry critique workshops in specific, and writing workshops in general. I'm in one of those periods wherein one follows one's inner compass, rightly or wrongly, and doesn't need or want a lot of workshop-style guidance or feedback. I doubt most of what I write these days has a home even in a benevolent workshop like yours, although I'm tempted; it's too radical, and I'm weary of being on the defensive all the bloody time. (Another reason I've backed away from the workshop environment.)

The books I use as touchstones for much the same purposes as Cameron's, which is a very good book BTW, include:

Frederick Franck: Art As A Way

Rilke: Letters to a Young Poet

 
At 2:32 PM, Blogger John Ettorre said...

Oh, you'd certainly fit in. No problems there. But I hear you on the cycles of seeking input and the weariness of being on the defensive. Obviously, we'd just plain love to have you, so do give it some thought. You're right: this is about as benevolent an environment as you'll find.

I do know and share your love for the Rilke book, but the Franck book you mention is new. I'll be sure to look into that soon. And speaking of Rilke's book, a very good writer and journalism prof at Columbia J-school has a newish book out (Letters to a Young Journalist) that borrows from Rilke's illustrious classic. You can learn more about it here:

www.samuelfreedman.com

 
At 2:47 PM, Blogger Art Durkee said...

Marvelous! I've bookmarked Freedman's page to look at in more detail later. What an interesting idea.

I actually have a small library of books I use for the purpose of teaching creativity, and restoring it on dull days. I have a small, probably not so secret ambition to one day turn my own blog into a writer's how-to book, albeit one a bit different from the rest out there. There are some other very good ones. Perhaps I'll compile a list and post it!

 
At 3:00 PM, Blogger John Ettorre said...

Art, that's a list I'd gladly cross-post here, so if and when you do, please send along the link.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home