Thursday, June 19, 2008

Five Events This Month That You Shouldn't Miss

Two of them, as it happens, take place later today. Our friends Roldo Bartimole and Mansfield Frazier, along with the formidable city planning guru Norm Krumholz, will headline this interesting panel that looks back at the legacy of former Cleveland Mayor Carl Stokes, the first black mayor of a major American city. A few hours later, the divine Ms. Shannon Okey , the original Cleveland webgrrl, will make a rare author's appearance at the Parma Heights library, talking about one of her favorite subjects, knitting. Expect a packed room, with fans clawing each other for seats in the front row, so get there early. Next Wednesday evening, Cleveland native Scott Raab, easily among the top half dozen magazine writers in America, makes an appearance at the Joseph Beth bookstore at Legacy Village, to promote his new book, a collection of his best magazine work. A day later, the Cleveland chapter of the American Institute of Architects hosts a gathering of ubanophiles (my coinage, I'm afraid) to inspect a new "walkable" neighborhood development downtown. Finally, a few days after that, just in time for the long holiday weekend, the Cleveland Museum of Art, long closed for construction, reopens its rehabbed original 1916 gallery, which should be a treat. Earlier, I mentioned Raab here, Mansfield here, and Norm here. Roldo is mentioned all over the place. Anyway, these events all get our highest five-star rating. Here's hoping we'll see some of you at one or more of them.

4 Comments:

At 3:53 PM, Blogger Michelle O'Neil said...

Thanks for all these juicy tips. I'f they ever let me out of the castle, I might attend one or two of these events!

 
At 3:56 PM, Blogger John Ettorre said...

Let down your golden hair, Rapunzel, and come down from that castle. Obviously, you can't miss by taking in the newly renovated art museum. And of course that one isn't a one-time-only event.

 
At 11:46 PM, Blogger Maria said...

Scott Raab has an unmistakable writing voice. I've read some of his work online. (I hope no one is disappointed that I don't subscribe to Esquire.) He was among the CSU students I observed in the halls in the concrete (not ivory) tower when I worked as a secretary in the English Department--while I was an undergraduate and then later as a graduate student splitting my time between CSU and JCU. What a great amount of talent -- student and faculty -- navigated those mazelike halls. (As for me, I typed fast, photocopied endlessly, filed, made coffee, invoiced for the Poetry Center, and enjoyed the constant surprises of the telephone.) Raab ventured to the University of Iowa, where I'm sure his craft was honed. You can sense a mind--crabby, cynical, critical, creative, and outrageous--in his work. It is almost its own genre.

Wishing him continued success.

 
At 10:41 AM, Blogger John Ettorre said...

Wonderfully said, Maria. Almost his own genre is about as much of a compliment as you can give any writer. Great to see you over the weekend, by the way.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home