Friday, March 21, 2008

Jeff Hess 'Gone Thinking'

My wise and energetic friend Jeff Hess, who maintains a blog with the wonderful name Have Coffee Will Write, is taking a short break. So for the next few days, all you'll find on his blog is the brief, delightful message: "Gone thinking. See y'all Sunday afternoon." It reminded me of a wonderful point historian David McCullough once made on the Diane Rehm show: "People always ask how much of your time is spent researching and how much of your time is spent on writing? But nobody ever asks me how much time I spend thinking. And writing is thinking." Happy thinking, Jeff. To review earlier mentions of Jeff, go here, here, here and here.

2 Comments:

At 10:50 PM, Blogger C. Moon Reed said...

This is a really great point. I believe that time for thought has been sacrificed to the gods of instant gratification. I'm glad that somebody is trying to bring it back.

 
At 11:39 PM, Blogger John Ettorre said...

Ah, a new commenter. Thanks for adding your two cents. And we wish you less misery, dear grad student.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home