Friday, January 11, 2008

Okay, Readers: Can You Top This?

Yesterday I came across a website that is so wonderfully designed, so stunning in its understated, elegant use of technology, language and visual elements that I instantly thought: that's got to be the best website of any entity in the Cleveland area. It was produced by an outfit called GoMedia, which I have reason to believe is comprised of graduates of the Cleveland Institute of Art (but I'll try to confirm that). I was also struck by their unusual tagline: "rebuild the esthetic," which certainly stands out (at least to me) amid a sea of ho-hum corporately crafted phrases. Anyway, I'd welcome your thoughts. And I'd love nothing more than to get a hundred other nominations for the top honors. And not to leave out readers from beyond the region, you're of course free to nominate any site that really strikes your fancy.

6 Comments:

At 11:45 PM, Blogger Maria said...

John: I certainly cannot top that! The site's images are paced in a way reminiscent of dreaming, and --on a sensory level -- almost as good as eating chocolate cake. (Perhaps the beige/brown design elements remind me of cake!)Congratulations to the designer(s)and the firm on their accomplishments and their representations of them. It's fun to see the familiar structures up close--not just driving by and seeing them out of the corner of my eye.

 
At 7:34 AM, Blogger John Ettorre said...

That's an awesome way of putting it, Maria. At a pacing reminiscent of dreaming. You've precisely put your finger on what I loved about it. My goodness, you've been hyperarticulate here lately. Thanks for reading and especially for adding to the conversation.

 
At 1:26 PM, Blogger Cleveland Carole Cohen 3C said...

It's a very good site I love Maria's analogy. But they are architects (and well connected ones at that) so it's nice to see they are doing what they are supposed to do. Engenders confidence in their services. I'll have to do some browsing...

 
At 3:04 PM, Blogger John Ettorre said...

Good point, Carole. You have to walk the walk in whatever industry you're in. So designers have to have good websites, just like writers shouldn't have any typos on their sites/blogs/written materials. And I should have come clean about one embedded bias I have toward them that probably caused me to spend a little more time going through the site: I'm an architect's son. And to your other point, Carole: yes, Paul Volpe and his crew are tightly connected to just about everyone in this town who matters in their niche.

 
At 4:45 PM, Blogger Cleveland Carole Cohen 3C said...

I have another nominee believe it or not it's a city site: http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/cwp/cpc.html#

I like the Connect Cleveland master plan revision site. What do you think?

Architects have fabulous jobs, John!

 
At 4:51 PM, Blogger John Ettorre said...

That is an interesting site. They must have recently upgraded it, because I'm fairly sure I've visited it in the past (though perhaps a year or more ago), and don't recall it being this good. And if you know anything about the impossible red tape governmental units must negotiate to get any good work done (in this case presumably by an outside vendor) you come away doubly impressed they could pull this off. Anyway, thanks for the nomination, Carole.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home