Thursday, November 26, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving, Everyone

Earth is turning and a massive star burns.
The unfailing harvest from the soil arrives
in its true season and every living day
succumbs to the dark and restive night.

Hearts are beating and lungs expanding,
the brain exerts its power of language and love,
blood strains relentlessly for its destination
as our bodies continue on.

We do nothing in all the days of our lives
to keep these laws in motion
or call them forth to complete their roles.
Nothing we do allows our eyes to open each morning.

And so for all that we cannot do on our own,
for the gift of free will and lives of unending choices,
for this food, and love we learn through time on Earth,
we thank you God for your blessings.
--Diane Vogel Ferri.

As we considered what we might share with you this holiday, we thought back to our earlier messages (from last year, the year before that, and three years ago). This year, nothing touched us quite the same as our friend Diane's tender, moving holiday poem. So thanks to her for sharing it. And while we respect this fellow's opinions about stuffing, we must take strong exception to it. To the contrary, we think this dish is divinely inspired, especially in the hands of our sainted mother-in-law, Mary, whose cooking routinely brings strong men to tears, as it will again in a few hours. Have a blessed day, y'all. We love and cherish you in an extra special way on this holiday, wherever you may be.

5 Comments:

At 8:49 PM, Blogger LIVE TO EAT said...

May you have an abundance to be thankful for, John.

Happy Thanksgiving.

 
At 9:34 PM, Blogger John Ettorre said...

You also, Michael. I can only imagine the holiday spread you enjoyed today. And thanks to your Buffalo Bills for supplying our Browns' lone victory this year!

 
At 1:38 PM, Anonymous jodie said...

LOVED the poem. I want to read it several more times because it was incredibly rich - a fitting treat for the holiday. Thank you both.

Sounds like you and your family had a wonderful Thanksgiving and I am glad of it.

My son-in-law makes a stuffing with a sage sausage that takes lowly "mushy bread crumbs" to the heights of delectable art form. Probably in startling contrast, I made an omelet this morning from an egg white, one of my chef son-in-law's leftover highly herbed deviled eggs, cut up spinach, leftover vegies from our vegetable plate and some of his stuffing. It was deliciously satisfying, though I admit there is no accounting for some people's taste. I hope my savoring the moment makes no one ill.

As I held my week-old grandson I marveled at the range of expressions one little face can display while sound asleep. Why can't I remember that from my own children? It is one of the many blessings I look forward to in the days to come.

Ideas from your blog have sparked so much growth for me this year. It has been incredible to have these wonderful conversations to consider, and is one of the things I am most grateful for this year.

 
At 5:50 PM, Blogger Diane Vogel Ferri said...

wow - what a surprise to land on this. Thanks for sharing it with your readers John. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving. I'm thankful for people like you out there in the blogosphere.

 
At 6:50 PM, Blogger John Ettorre said...

We're thankful for you, too, Diane.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home