Monday, February 23, 2009

Sounds Right To Us On Both Counts

The Washington Post's Michael Wilbon says that as we head into the home stretch of the NBA season, it's really down to four elite teams vying for the title: the Lakers, Celtics, Cavs and Spurs. Meanwhile, his colleague Al Kamen notes a recent C-Span poll of historians that rates the outgoing president George W. Bush as the seventh-worst in history. We think that's a good start, and a temporary resting place from which he should only slowly fall even lower as the enormity of his serial disasters continue to be digested and assessed.
UPDATE: Bush, who famously told author Robert Draper that in his post-presidency he would give some speeches "just to replenish the ol' coffers," is about to embark on a series of speeches. Meanwhile, a columnist for Britain's Guardian newspaper has some fun imagining various jobs Bush might explore.

4 Comments:

At 9:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Call me a fatalistic Cleveland fan, but I start holding my breath when one of our teams become's one of the favorites. Think back barely a year when the smart money was on our baseball team, and then on our football team, to do Big Things. And now no less a sports cynics then Frank Deford has annointed LeBron. The NBA's alpha male notwithstanding, I'm much more comfortable when Cleveland is the underdog.

 
At 9:37 AM, Blogger John Ettorre said...

Mike, what hardened, long-suffering Cleveland sports fan could possibly disagree with that? My memory goes way back to the infamous Sports Illustrated cover jinx of the '86 Indians.

 
At 1:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hah! What a youngster. I remember the '54 world series when the winningest team in baseball history got swept -- I was probably scarred by that trauma.

 
At 2:56 PM, Blogger John Ettorre said...

Yes, the '54 Series disaster is not only before my memory, but before I was born. Didn't start paying attention to sports until the late '60s, so unlike you, I missed any contemporary consciousness of the Browns championship, so you also have that on me on the upside. Anyway, here's hoping we'll both get to enjoy an NBA championship in Cleveland pretty soon. The champagne's on me when and if that happens, Mike.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home