Saturday, January 20, 2007

It Always Comes
Down to Women

Political humorist (and Toledo native) P.J. O'Rourke has a new book out. In a recent interview with Radar Magazine, he tells the real story of why he became a man of the left in his early days, before heading right in later life:

'...my being left-wing had more to do with meeting girls. It was my first weekend of college and I was just walking down an alley with bars on either side, and on one side was the bar where all the football players and the frat guys and the cute sorority girls all hung out. And on the other side of the alley was the beatnik bar. And I'm looking at the Tri-Delts and the Kappa Kappa Gammas over there at the clean-cut kid bar, and I'm thinking, You know? I'm not gonna cut it over there. I don't play football. I'm not tall and good-looking. I'm not rich. I'm not legacy at Sigma Chi. And then I looked over at the beatnik bar, and I thought, Man, I'll bet those girls do it. And so I turned left into the beatnik bar and didn't emerge for about a decade. So it was really that. It was no deeper than that.'

3 Comments:

At 11:29 AM, Blogger Christine Borne said...

My first thought was a disgusted, "Nice. What a freaking class act."

Then, in all fairness, I remembered that I went to library school to meet guys. The type of guys who weren't "all football and frat parties."

It worked, too.

 
At 12:38 PM, Blogger John Ettorre said...

Aha, how marvelous. Friends from both sides of the gender fence fessing up to their similar experiences. Just goes to prove what I thought to be the universality of what he was saying.

So Steve, the next question is this: how goes the love life in your neo-beat phase? Inquiring minds are dying to know.

 
At 6:54 PM, Blogger Darby M. Dixon III said...

That's pretty awesome, right there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home