Monday, November 06, 2006

Support the Independents (Still)

I have a couple of books on order at Mac's Backs in Coventry that I'm looking forward to picking up soon and reading. I've said it before and I'll say it again: I hope you'll consider supporting independent bookstores, because they play an invaluable role in the intellectual life of any community (three years ago, I wrote this about bookstores I've loved). They've been battered in recent years, of course, first by the invasion of the huge national chains, and then by the advent of online powerhouse Amazon. And yet the good ones keep right on going, somehow. I was happy to learn from Publisher's Weekly that bookstores remain surprisingly strong, probably because there's no experience quite like browsing a good bookstore, or even, truth be told, a mediocre one. According to the booksellers' bible, 68% of Americans who purchased a book in the last year did so at a bookstore.

1 Comments:

At 3:39 PM, Blogger John Ettorre said...

Well said, Gloria, and good for you for giving gifts of lasting value. Loganberry is indeed wonderful. More than once here, I've referred to that store as being the single greatest interior space dedicated to books in this entire region. There are few places in this city that can raise my spirits as effectively on a cloudy winter day as that. Interesting that there used to be a Learned Owl in Lakewood. There is now a bookstore of the same name in downtown Hudson, one of only about 6-8 remaining independent bookstores in the region. So there's perhaps a common history/ownership to both.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home