Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Your Tax Dollars at Work

'I regret that I was never able to convince Congress to fully fund our technological initiatives. I'm embarrassed that on the afternoon and evening of September 11, 2001, FBI agents had to send photos of the suspected terrorists via express mail service because they still lacked the computing power to scan and send the images (electronically).'
--from former FBI director Louis Freeh's autobiography, My FBI. Earlier in the book, he observed that the average 12-year-old American child has more computing power at his fingertips than the average FBI agent. Postscript: This GAO report, in September '04, found that even three years after 9/11, "the FBI does not currently have an integrated plan for modernizing its IT systems."

2 Comments:

At 12:21 PM, Blogger mistersugar said...

I'm sick of Freeh's whining and lack of responsibility. Let me loose in the FBI building and I'll show him how to send a picture. I just can't believe that the FBI doesn't have a camera, a usb cable, some duct tape and a telephone. Hell, didn't they every watch MacGuyver?

On Sixty Minutes, Freeh said that even if he had known the 9/11 attack were to happen, he couldn't have done anything about it. That's pathetic.

 
At 2:15 PM, Blogger John Ettorre said...

I'd have to agree with you, Anton. I especially love the irony inherent in all his excuses about how the vast FBI apparatus couldn't do anti-terrorism well, while at the same time he tries to cover himself in glory for going after Bill Clinton's many misdemeanors. His sense of proportion seems to be lacking.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home